Estero Design Review Committee
December 12, 2007
The Estero Recreation Center
9200 Corkscrew Palms Blvd.
Meeting Time: 5:00 P.M.
Members in Attendance: Gordon Lyons, Tom O’Dea, Bob Melzer,
Bill Prysi, Joe McHarris, Al O’Donnell,
Gerald Simons, and Jim Wallace
Absent: Nancy Cohen
Chaired By: Tom O’Dea
Minutes By: Ramona Thomas
Meeting called to order.
Approval of the minutes of the November 14th meeting was called for. A motion to approve the minutes was made, seconded and carried unanimously. Minutes were approved with no changes.
Presented by: Deborah Rardin, Postmaster.
Deborah Rardin, Postmaster, presented changes in response to the EDRC’s recommended changes for the new Estero Post Office. They can do the roof with the concrete barrel tile instead of the metal roof, but will not do the building in stucco.
- Suggest using smooth split base veneer block and horizontal crown molding.
- Entry element could be painted stucco, but the flow of material may be better for the overall look and recommend architect using their best judgment on the material selection for the entry element.
- Put cut outs for planter space at entrance to add two sable palm groups for height.
Location: Coconut Crossings Tract K
Presented by: Joseph J. Jurewicz, PE
An entire row of parking spaces was eliminated to accommodate additional interior landscaping, trees were added on both sides of the building, sidewalk connectivity was added, 10-12 foot width of landscape was added along the west side of the building.
- See improvements, nice addition of landscaping.
- Eliminate Washingtonian palms and increase the number of sable palms in the rear of the building; suggest 25 – 30 mixed heights with 14 – 20 ft. clear trunk.
- Add architectural elements & adornments to rear elevation.
- Cornice work, base, and blue banding doesn’t have right vernacular.
- Raise roof on Kohl’s signage, change eave line & roof pitches, add cornice on entrance elements, and add color variation to entrances.
- Get rid of long linear at back of building by adding architectural elements & adornments to the rear elevation.
Location: Paradise Shoppes of Estero
Presented by: Eileen Graf, Interplan, LLC
Chick-fil-A presented changes to address the comments of the EDRC from the November 14th meeting including removing the reader board on the monument sign & changed shape to more traditional shape, reworked the landscaping to include a mixture of sable palms, articulated heights of towers, added roof elements over the service courtyard.
Do not recommend using Anise, St John’s Wart or Carolina Jasmine in the landscaping plans.
Recommend replacement plants as follows: clerodendron vine for Carolina jasmine; dwarf yaupon holly for St Johns Wart; Pitch apple for Anise
Where light poles are in islands replace oak with 3 cabbage palms.
Need larger screening shrubs at dumpster; recommend wild olive or pitch apple instead of oleander.
Applicant: Mirasol at Coconut Point
Location: Coconut Point
Presented by: Mary, Premier Electrical Contractors
Mirasol at Coconut Point is requesting a permit to put the signage lettering onto the existing monument sign.
Ground lighting directed up onto signage does not comply with code for signs.
The signage specs were discussed at the Estero Community Planning Panel meeting. The ECPP are getting a group together to come up with clearer signage specs guidelines.
There being no further business to come before the committee the meeting was adjourned.
Next Meeting: Next EDRC Meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 9, 2007 at the Estero Park Community Center.