ESTERO DESIGN REVIEW COMMITTEE
January 9, 2008
The Estero Recreation Center
9200 Corkscrew Palms Blvd.
Meeting Time: 5:00 P.M.
Members in Attendance: Gordon Lyons, Tom O’Dea, Al O’Donnell, Bob Melzer, Gerald Simons, Nancy Cohen, Joe McHarris, and Jim Wallace
Absent: Bill Prysi
Chaired By: Gordon Lyons
Minutes By: Ramona Thomas
Meeting called to order.
Approval of the minutes of the December 12th meeting was called for. A motion to approve the minutes was made, seconded and carried unanimously. Minutes were approved with no changes.
Location: Coconut Trace
Presented by: Joe Beck, Atelier Design Studio
Joe Beck of Atelier Design Studio presented the plans for the lighting and monument sign at Mattress Firm located at Coconut Trace. The site plan was reworked for the landscape and the driveway entrance on the south side of the parking lot was eliminated. The monument sign will include a motif to match the medallions on the building and will be within the Lee County Code requirements.
- There is little or no graphic balance. The base of monument should be 24 inches high.
- Increase width at base 4-6 inches to make wider and increase the thickness
- Address numbers are required on monument sign.
- Recommend issuing DO with all comments listed.
Location: County Road
Presented by: Pastor Rod Buzzard
Pastor Buzzard of Christ Community Ministries Church has been offered temporary trailers similar to those of the administrative building for the Fire Department adjacent to their church and is requesting to locate them at the rear of the church on an existing concrete slab. There is no residential housing within view and the trailers will not be visible from US41.
Recommend approval by sending letter to Lee County with 3 year maximum timeline. It must be screened from US41 and subject to requirements of all codes in Lee County.
Location: Coconut Crossings Tract K
Presented by: Joseph J. Jurewicz, PE
Daryl Bray of Scott’s Goble presented the revised front elevation for Kohl’s which included parapet roofs, added architectural brackets below hip roofs, raised center element, added cornice on gateways, added column to address the modern look of glazing at entrances.
- Roofline over Kohl’s signage slopes upward but is incomplete at rear. Finish all gables.
- Add eave & soffit on front roof line.
- North & south elevation towers not complete; build as a regular tower and finish out.
- The two front entrances are not in character with Mediterranean, architectural modification with cornice seems insignificant, has big box feeling
- Railing located on tower needs faux windows.
- Serengeti finish is not SW Florida, would rather see stucco, or change to other material with more contrast.
- Recommend roof tile color to be more traditional terra cotta and less pink,
- On building façade, use darker colors and add more contrast to building colors, rendering contrast is looks better than actual samples submitted.
- Add groups of tall sable palms in varying heights at flat roof elevations to break up masses.
- Come back with recommended changes.
On the Fairways the plan is to move dirt from one side to the other side, and, cutting land and moving over to reshape lake at the interior of the community. No new buildings are being added.
EDRC reviewed the request and is satisfied that there will be no visible effect to others in Estero.
Point of procedure – The EDRC will hold everyone to same standard for review requirements. Each presenter needs to submit location, plans, elevations, map, and site photos at minimum.
The EDRC will sign off on all future plans, renderings, and elevations as the final reviewed and approved copy. These plans together with a copy of the DO letter will be submitted to the county
There being no further business to come before the committee the meeting was adjourned.
Next Meeting: Next EDRC Meeting will be held on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 at the Estero Park Community Center.