May 9, 2007
The Estero Recreation Center
9200 Corkscrew Palms Blvd.
Members in Attendance: Gordon Lyons, Tom O’Dea, Nancy Cohen,
Jim Wallace, Gerald Simons, Bill Prysi
Meeting called to order.
Approval of the minutes of the April 11th meeting was called for. A motion
to approve the minutes was made, seconded and carried unanimously. Minutes
were approved with no changes.
Coconut Crossing, north of Coconut Road
Scott Beauchesne, Hole Montes
Scott Beauchesne from Hole Montes, and Bruce Gora & Cristina Meyer of Gora
McGahey Associates in Architecture presented plans for Orion Bank located at
Coconut Crossing on the north side of Coconut Road. Connectivity is
provided to existing sidewalk; Entry faces south; US41 & Saffron elevations are
more prominent including parapet, cornices, wood doors, trellis on east, colored
store front windows, pavers along site, trellis on east side will be wood tone
or white to complement the building.
- Fire department should have seen plans prior to EDRC review.
- Very attractive building, great architectural detail, fabulous
example of a commercial job.
- Great landscape plan.
- Would like to post plans on web site for a reference example to
The Brooks off
Three Oaks Parkway.
Caleb M. Janus, Architect.
Caleb Janus presented plans for the 1,000 sq. ft. addition to the existing
Copperleaf Clubhouse. This project will not affect parking or drainage.
The addition will be constructed of concrete block & stucco to match existing
structure. The addition will be barely noticeable and provide more usable
& effective space.
- Concerns about sufficient parking. Applicant stated that
sufficient additional parking was put in place as part of the original
development of the Clubhouse.
- EDRC members were in favor of the expansion.
Coconut Trace between US41 and Lynden Drive
Barry E. Jones from Dyers, Riddle, Mills & Precourt, Inc.
Barry Jones presented revised preliminary plans for Coconut Trace to include
Panda Express, a
26,000 sq. ft. building with retail on the first floor and corporate offices
above, located in Coconut Trace between US41 and Lynden Drive. This
project was originally reviewed by the EDRC at the April meeting and is being
presented to address the concerns from the committee’s comments at the April
- Add plantings at center of building east elevation along base.
- Add tall palms at for framing signage on building at top floor.
- Bump out Panda Express and frame with royal palms.
- Recommend moving dumpster over one parking space for straight in &
out for truck to empty dumpster.
- Make windows recessed to add architectural detail, creating shadow
& reducing glazing.
- If code permits, explore the possibility of projecting the fascia
wall above the Panda Express entrance in order to create more relief at the
- Landscape plan is not correct; submit revised landscape plan, west
& east plantings must show on plans.
- Submit new building plans with changes.
- Complete signage to incorporate elements for tenants, add more
detail. Submit a sample to the committee.
- Submit plans for monument sign.
Barry Jones and his team will come back for next month’s meeting with the
recommended changes for review by the EDRC.
A letter was sent out regarding the Stoney’s sign and no response was
received. Gordon Lyons will follow up with it.
The Enclave at Rapallo in
Estero is prepared to plant 160-180 sabal palm trees on neighboring property
between their development and Coconut Point Mall. No permission to plant
has been received from Coconut Point Mall yet. Tom O’Dea will send an
email to Tom Schneider informing him that Jim Wallace at Rapallo is ready to
proceed with the plantings.
A letter has been sent out regarding the unapproved Walgreens sign and no
response has been received back.
Next EDRC Meeting will be held on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at the Estero Park