Where to Find Important Healthcare Information
Finding a primary care or specialty doctor can be confusing and challenging if you are new to the Southwest Florida region, have been here for a few months, or are a long-time, year-round resident. This Naples Daily News article outlines a few reasons, including a growing population of older residents and a healthcare provider shortage like the rest of the country.
By Heather Duane, Engage Estero Communications Committee member.
These factors can make it challenging to set up an appointment you need quickly or to find a practice accepting new patients. However, there are various resources to help you find a local physician or specialist. Here are several resources you can use to establish the availability of the physician you require in the Southwest Florida area.
Local Health Care Systems
Our region has two major hospital systems – Lee Health and NCH Healthcare System (NCH), and several large, multi-facility physician groups. Each has a “find a doctor” tool to help connect you with the type of provider and location you need.
- Lee Health Physician Group: Numerous hospitals with emergency rooms and dozens of offices across Southwest Florida, including Estero’s new University Highlands Outpatient Center.
- NCH Healthcare System: Headquartered in Naples, but with a standalone office and ER in Bonita Springs and many offices across South Lee County.
- Physicians Regional Healthcare System: Offering various specialists across Collier County.
- Millennium Physicians Group: One of the region’s largest practice groups, with general practitioners and specialists.
- Physicians’ Primary Care of Southwest Florida: Large health care group with family practice and internal medicine providers.
- Healthcare Network of Southwest Florida: Offering numerous specialties and family medicine, Healthcare Network provides services for all residents on a sliding-scale pay rate and is open to those with and without insurance.
Additional Search Options
In addition to these larger practices, there are many independent practitioners in the region. The following search tools include practitioners at both large facilities and independent offices.
HealthGrades: This website provides the ability to search in many cities in Southwest Florida and beyond and includes patient reviews.
Medicare: Search for Medicare providers as well as home health, nursing homes, rehabilitation facilities, hospice care, and other services.
Senior Blue Book: Includes information on health care options, housing, in-home care, and more.
Are you looking to learn more about the healthcare landscape in Estero and Southwest Florida? You can view a recording of the recent Engage Estero community health care forum here or read the summary provided in the Spring Greater Estero Community Report.
We hope you find the information of assistance.
This information is provided by Engage Estero solely as a service to residents, and is not intended to be an endorsement, recommendation, or to contain medical advice of any kind. We encourage residents to consider reviews, insurance network coverage, and your own personal priorities when choosing any healthcare professional.
Engage Estero is an all-volunteer, nonpolitical, nonprofit Community Engagement Association. We exist to inform citizens of significant community issues and encourage citizen engagement to favorably impact the quality of life in greater Estero.